When Hurricane Harvey first hit the U.S., turbulent winds snapped flag poles in half. Entire vehicles lay submerged in water. Families rushed to their rooftops, scanning the skies for rescue helicopters. The Category 4 storm is predicted to create billions of dollars in economic loss, and has already claimed at least 8 lives; but if immediate action is not taken, it could claim many more.
Hurricane Harvey is the strongest storm to hit the United States in more than a decade. With 130 mph winds, it has already caused unprecedented flooding in southeastern Houston, Texas, and shows no signs of relenting as it threatens neighboring states. At least 30,000 people will need shelter, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
During the weekend, Zakat Foundation of America (ZF) began working to address this domestic disaster. ZF representatives have been communicating with government agencies such as FEMA and the Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (VOAD), as well as local Muslim organizations including the Islamic Society of Greater Houston (ISGH).
Here is what ZF will be doing:
- Distributing hygiene kits and cleaning supplies.
- Distributing warm food and clean water to the worst hit areas.
- Providing translation services where needed.
- Educating beneficiaries about applying for assistance through FEMA.
- Cleaning up flooded houses.
Last year, ZF provided immediate relief efforts during Hurricane Matthew. ZF’s contributions were recognized and honored by the North Carolina chapter of VOAD.
Here is what you can do:
- Please pray for our brothers and sisters in Texas.
- Please donate toward our effort (i.e. $50, $100, $250, $500, $1,000 or any other amount for emergency relief is appreciated).
- Please volunteer if you can!
In this difficult day, Insha’Allah (God willing), together we can help the people of Texas lessen their suffering!