Coronavirus. They’re calling it our 100-year threat.
Officials haven’t made public health decisions at this scale in a century.
But we know from our Prophet, on him be peace, we have two miracle arrows in Islam’s quiver. Sadaqah and Du‘a.
1. Charity blocks calamity
“Give charity without delay, for it stands in the way of calamity,” the Prophet said
~ (Al-Tirmidhi, no. 589).
2. Supplication can alter divine decree.
“Nothing can change the Divine decree but du‘a”
~ (Ahmad, 5:677).
“The du‘a meets the calamity that has been decreed and wrestles with it, until the Day of Resurrection”
Ask Allah to protect you. Your family. Your community. Humanity.
Islam is balance. The Prophet, on him be peace, always gave us clear practical instructions for worldly trials.
About spreading epidemics, he cautioned:
“If you hear of a plague in a land, then do not go into it. And if it befalls a land you are in, then do not go out from it”
~ (Bukhari, no. 5396; Muslim no. 2218).
Take this advice to heart:
- Seek immediate medical help for breathing problems or flu symptoms.
- Wash your hands often, thoroughly. Avoid touching your face. Disinfect common surfaces.
- Help the elderly and sick — a great sadaqah. (Shop for them. Check on them).
- Store sufficient food and daily items. But don’t over-stockpile.
- Reject racist and xenophobic labels linking ethnic groups with Coronavirus.
O Allah! Forgive and have mercy. Lift this affliction from us, and place it where it does no harm. You are powerful over all things.
Executive Director, Zakat Foundation