We help generous and caring people reach out to those in need. Our goal is to address immediate needs and ensure the self-reliance of the poorest people around the world with zakat and sadaqa dollars of privileged Muslims and the support of other generous donors. We believe that those whom God has granted wealth need to cleanse that wealth through charity, and those whom God has tried with loss are accorded a rightful share from the resources of the affluent.
We foster charitable giving to alleviate the immediate needs of poor communities and to establish long-term development projects that ensure individual and community growth.
We accomplish this mission by:
- Bringing immediate relief during and after disasters, building and supporting schools, orphanages and health clinics, supporting community development programs and micro-credit, providing Ramadan Iftars and food distribution, and providing fresh meat for Udhiya/Qurbani and Aqeeqah through the support of community-based initiatives
- Serving as a trusted zakat and sadaqa resource center for our Muslim donors
- Serving as a trusted charity option for all donors through financial transparency and strict standards of efficiency and accountability
- Minimizing expenses by maintaining a small administrative staff
- Maximizing donations by establishing strategic partnerships
Zakat Foundation of America (ZF) was founded in 2001 upon the Islamic principle illustrated in the Gracious Quran:
“They feed with food–despite their own desire for it –
the indigent, and the orphan and the captive (saying):
‘We feed you purely for the sake of God.
We desire no reward from you, nor thankfulness.’”
(Surah al-Insan, 8-9)
ZF was established during a time when humanitarian organizations faced increased scrutiny in their activities and procedures, leading to new standards in transparency and accountability. As a US-based, Muslim-run charity organization that serves needy communities both at home and abroad, ZF shows the inclusive beauty of Islam through programs that reach the destitute worldwide.
ZF has differentiated itself from a traditional US-based Muslim charity approach of exclusively supporting communities abroad and reaches poor and indigent communities within the United States as well. Since its establishment, ZF has progressed from mostly offering immediate emergency aid and Seasonal Programs to a focus on severing the roots of poverty, utilizing Zakat and Sadaqa donations to develop long-term, sustainable solutions.
ZF is a non-governmental, non-political, non-profit international relief and development organization organized under the laws of the State of Illinois. As a humanitarian relief and development organization, Zakat Foundation endeavors to adhere to the core humanitarian principles set forth in the Code of Conduct for International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and NGOs in Disaster Relief, particularly its provisions on humanity, impartiality, independence and neutrality.