Zakat Foundation of America’s East Coast Office Opens Doors for Opportunity
Zakat Foundation of America (ZF) opened an East Coast office / community center earlier this year in Delaware. “The decision to launch an office on the East Coast was to respond to devastating unemployment, underemployment, and inequity in education,” said ZF’s East Coast representative Murat. “Furthermore, the services we envisioned would eradicate the need for dependence on government aid and uplifting the morale of all the people we support.”
ZF Community Center—East Coast provides several social services locally, as well as serves impoverished communities in neighboring states.
Social services include:
- A Mobile Soup Kitchen serving Wilmington, Delaware area.
- A Food Pantry. One of our rooms is designated as a food pantry. Currently, we stock nonperishable food only.
- Tutoring and Other Educational Activities for K-12 students, ESL courses for adults, and SAT preparation, among other activities.
- Foster Parenting Certification. This program, implemented in collaboration with government agencies, aims to increase the number of Muslim families certified as foster parents.
- Disaster Relief Training. We have already started the process of training community members for basic disaster relief efforts. This program is also done in collaboration with government agencies.
If you are interested in learning more about ZF East Coast programs and services, please email [email protected] or visit 21 Prestbury Square Building, Newark, Delaware.