The Deyr rains of autumn have fallen short for three consecutive rainy seasons in the Horn of Africa.
This year, they will bring even less rainfall—by half.
The Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) says:
- 6.2 million Somalis face food insecurity—at least one in five households going without eating for days. Malnutrition is acute. Food animals die and crops fail. Even with humanitarian aid. Food animals die and crops fail.
- 3.1 million Somalis are on the verge of famine, with no food for days on end, with almost total loss of livelihood.
- 866,000 Somalis are now starving to death.
- 854,600 Somalis are refugees from drought and conflict (UNHCR).
- 8.5 million Ethiopians are now food insecure.
- 3.4 million Kenyans face acute food insecurity—not eating for days at a time. Animals and assets depleted. Malnutrition stunting child development. Starvation mere weeks away.
The Power of Your Donation
You can push back famine in the Horn of Africa with a sincere donation now
- $50 pulls a child back from the brink of starvation to nutritious health for a month.
- $250 feeds a family of five with halal, wholesome food for two weeks.
- $500 gives milk to 30 children for one month.
- $1,000 feeds a family of five for four months.
Please feed the people in the Horn of Africa. Your gift will save lives, and Allah has promised: Whoever saves a life, it shall be counted as though one has saved the life of all humankind (Al-Ma’ida, 5:32).